I call dibs on that center brownie with the oozing caramel heart. You can have the rest. Wait wait, I want a corner piece, too! I choose the lower right–though it’s the smallest, it has another oozing caramel heart.
The way to my heart is oozing chocolate caramel hearts, did you know?
More fun facts about me: I spent 30 minutes in Target last week sorting through every brand of chocolate hearts to find the prettiest one for brownies. I spread all of the bags out of the floor, and then went down the row, googling them one by one, to see what they looked like unwrapped. If you were one of the people that I scared away from coming down the Valentine’s Day candy aisle, I am so sorry. It’s clear now. The crazy lady is gone–you’re free to go back to Target now.
After intense research, I settled on the Hershey’s brand caramel-filled hearts. I’m a bit of a Valentine’s Day candy expert (<–click for proof!), and I believe this is the first year Hershey’s has made these hearts. Or, at least it’s the first year for the new heart design. A heart within a heart, oh so romantic! You won me over.
The runner-up was a Nestle crunch heart. Okay okay, maybe it was the runner-up because I ate most of the bag on the way home from the store and didn’t have enough to make these brownies. There are Butterfingers hearts and Reese’s peanut butter hearts this year, too! You have so many options to make the cutest heart brownies! What a time to be alive, people!
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 9 caramel-filled chocolate heart candies (I used Hershey’s caramel hearts)
- Preheat the oven to 325, and make sure an oven rack is in the lower third of the oven.
- Line a 8×8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper in two directions, overlapping. Leave enough excess to make handles so it’s easier to pull the brownies out once they’re baked.
- Next, in a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar and cocoa powder.
You can find complete recipes of this HEART BROWNIES in dessertfortwo.com