Low Carb and Gluten Free Fried Cabbage with Kielbasa. Deliciously satisfying -Quick and Easy weeknight dinner on a budget! What could be more perfect?
You’ve got to love any recipe that contains inexpensive ingredients, is quick to make, and tastes like you spent hours on it. That is pretty much the food trifecta. This recipe fits the criteria for all three. Add in the fact that it is low carb and gluten free, and it’s like winning the food lottery.
Cabbage has long since been a low carb staple. Here are some random facts about the worlds second most consumed vegetable. (The first being potatoes.)
- Cabbage is one of the oldest vegetables, dating back to the 1600’s.
- Cabbage is rich source of vitamins C, K, B6 and B9 and minerals such as manganese and calcium.
- Cabbage contains quantities of fiber and iron, which help to keep the digestive tract and colon in a healthy condition.
- Cabbage is available in many varieties: red or purple, green and Napa cabbage, usually found in Chinese cooking, bok choi and Brussel Sprouts.
- Cabbage is: Low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol, High in Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Folate, Potassium, Manganese, Vitamin A, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron and Magnesium.
- One cup of shredded raw cabbage contains 190% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C.
- 6 tbsp butter, divided (olive oil, ghee or coconut oil)
- 1 cup onion, diced (about 4 oz)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (get it here)
- 14 oz kielbasa, thinly sliced on a bias
- large head green cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, rough chopped
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tbsp of butter.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Sauté until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- Add red wine vinegar to the pan and mix in with onions and garlic.
- Add sliced kielbasa to the pan and sauté until slightly browned.
- Add remaining butter, cabbage, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Toss to mix all ingredients together and coat the cabbage with butter and seasonings.
- Saute until cabbage is wilted and slightly browned.
- Top with fresh parsley and crushed red pepper flakes before serving.
You can find complete recipes of this FRIED CABBAGE WITH KIELBASA – LOW CARB, PALEO, GLUTEN FREE in peaceloveandlowcarb.com