It’s nice to see you, 2017! While last year will be tough to beat, I have a sneaking suspicion that the New Year is going to be quite the flavor-packed extravaganza.
We have a whole host of new recipes and guides lined up for your eating and entertaining pleasure. And we’re kicking things off on the light and tasty front with none other than Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins.
Consider these perfectly portable egg muffins to be the equivalent of handheld omelettes. They’re high in protein and low in carbs, making them the ultimate breakfast-on-the-go. Best of all? You can customize the fillings and toppings to suit your tastes.
Not a fan of spinach? Skip it! Quite the carnivore? Stir in cooked breakfast sausage! Where’s the cheese? Add your favorite variety! This is your chance to clean out the fridge and make the most of random leftover odds and ends. (And we all know what a fan I am of leftovers!)
Once these egg muffins exit the oven, all that’s left to do is pop them from the pan into your mouth, or go the extra step and load up on toppings. I’ve opted for diced avocado and salsa. It lends a southwestern spin guaranteed to please palates of all ages.
Stay tuned for more quick and easy early morning meals and don’t forget to check out countless more healthy options for breakfast through dessert (looking at you, 5-Minute Frozen Yogurt!).
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- Sliced avocado, for serving
- Salsa, for serving
- Crumbled cotija or feta cheese, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, nonfat milk and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Stir in the spinach, tomatoes and onions.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin pan cups and bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the egg is fully cooked.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan then use a knife to loosen the muffins from the cups.
You can find complete recipes of this Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffins in justataste.com