There’s nothing better than a warming bowl of your favorite soup on a cold, dreary night. Not the kind of soup from a can, but the easy homemade kind that’s comforting and good for the soul, with enough leftovers for days.
Hello, Spicy Vegan Black Bean Soup. You have been a favorite of mine since um, forever?
The first bowl of Black Bean Soup I ever had was from Panera, way back in high school during my senior year. How I remember that? I’m not sure ha. I wasn’t vegan then but lightly dabbled with the vegetarian thing on and off and also the non-dairy thing here and there – even back when almond milk was unheard of and not as mainstream as it is now!
Back then (about 9 years ago… eek) Panera didn’t offer many meat-free or dairy-free options EXCEPT black bean soup and a couple salads, at least from what I remember. Now they have a handful of vegan-friendly options but I also remember choosing Black Bean Soup because it was low-fat and low-sodium but high in fiber. Guess I’ve always been into nutrition.
It’s taken me a while to share this recipe… mainly because, while Black Bean Soup is absolutely DELISH and comes with nutrition facts from the nutrition gods, it’s not as photogenic or colorful as my Cleansing Detox Soup, (a major hit here on the blog) or as vibrant as my recipes in general.
Don’t judge a book by it’s cover, right?!
- 3/4 cup water (or 2 tablespoons olive oil; if not oil-free)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3-1/2 jalapeño, finely chopped, to taste (optional)
- 2 medium-sized carrots, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (or any color)
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- 1 15 oz. can organic sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 3 15 oz. cans organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- toppings: avocado, crushed tortilla chips, jalapeño, cilantro, dairy-free cheese
- Heat the water (or oil, if preferred) in a soup pot or large dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the onions and garlic, with a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the jalapeño, carrot, red bell pepper, cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Cook until vegetable are soft, about 7-9 minutes.
You can find complete recipes of this SPICY VEGAN BLACK BEAN SOUP in theglowingfridge.com