These healthy no bake banana bread breakfast bars are thick, chewy and packed with protein, they’ll keep you satisfied for hours! Made without any butter, oil, grains or granulated sugar, they can easily be enjoyed as a snack or light dessert! They are suitable for those following a vegan, gluten free, paleo, dairy free and refined sugar free diet!
I cringe over some of the breakfast television shows I watched as a kid growing up.
Are you guys familiar with the term ‘breakfast television’? During my childhood, it was a select number of shows shown during the morning period, usually just before school. These hours were often between 6.30am-8am and often were filled with 5-6 short cartoons or shows.
While us Aussies were fortunate to have some international gems sent our way (Babar, Rugrats, Arthur, and Madeline), we had to also endure some home grown ‘talent.’ Many of them seemed to be poor rip-offs of American classics. Some, however, were simply cringe-worthy. The biggest offender was the show, ‘Bananas in Pyjamas‘.
For the bars
- 3 cups gluten free oat flour OR 2 cup coconut flour (Paleo option)
- 1 cup vanilla protein powder (optional)
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup overripe mashed banana (about 2 small)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (can sub for brown rice or honey if no diet restrictions)
- 1/2 cup drippy cashew butter (can sub for any nut or seed butter)
- pinch vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + milk of choice*
For the high protein frosting
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (see tested recommendations under ‘shop’)
- 1-2 T granulated sweetener of choice (optional)
- 1-2 T nut butter of choice (optional)
- Milk to form batter
For the coconut butter frosting
- 1/2 cup coconut butter, melted
- 2 T coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Line a 9 x 9 baking dish with parchment paper or aluminium foil and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, protein powder, cinnamon, sea salt, granulated sweetener of choice and mix well. Add in the mashed banana- Mixture should be very crumbly.
- In a microwave safe bowl or stovetop, melt your cashew butter with maple syrup. Whisk in the vanilla extract and pour into the dry mixture. Mix very well until fully incorporated.
- For a more soft and fudgy banana bread bar, add milk of choice until a relatively thick batter is formed. For a firm and chewy bar, add milk of choice only if needed to desired thickness. Transfer to lined baking tray and press firmly in place.
- Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, or until firm. Once firm, add frosting of choice and refrigerate for another 30 minutes to firm up before slicing.
You can find complete recipes of this HEALTHY NO BAKE BANANA BREAD BREAKFAST BARS in thebigmansworld.com