Quick and easy, 30 minute Black Beans and Lime Rice! With a few simple ingredients you’ve got a great week night dinner, and leftovers make for an ideal lunch!
The beans are perfectly spiced with cumin, paprika and optional cayenne. The lime rice adds an authentic ‘gotta have it taste’, and a handful of cilantro completes the bowl! Gluten-free!
Where do I begin with such a simply, complex bowl of rice and beans? I mean, there are so many bean and rice recipes on the web it’ll make your head spin trying to find the perfect one. Trust me I was once there. That is, until I created this 30 minute Black Beans and Lime Rice.
It has that ‘gotta have it taste’, that’ll have you coming back for more!
I’ve made 30 minute Black Beans and Lime Rice countless times for my family. When I feel extra lazy, I’ll toss all the black bean ingredients (except the corn, I’ll add that about 15 minutes into cooking) into a large saucepan. Allow everything to simmer on low for 20-25 minutes or until the onion is cooked.
However I am forewarning you about this method, I’ve noticed using canned beans sometimes leads to one of my biggest pet peeves, “hollow bean pits”. It’s how I refer to them. This happens when the black beans are over cooked. The skin breaks and the bean inside becomes a mush leaving hollow bean skins.
Now I don’t know about you, but I want to eat the whole bean not just the skin. So to avoid this, I allow the onion to cook a bit before adding the canned beans.
- 2 (15.5 oz.) cans low sodium organic black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pink salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cup organic corn
- Optional cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 cups uncooked organic brown rice
- Juice of 2-3 limes
- Fresh organic cilantro
- Organic lime wedges
- Cook the rice according to the package or your rice cooker.
- Once the rice has fully cooked, squeeze in 2-3 limes and mix.
- In a large saucepan, simmer the broth, water, diced onion, minced garlic and seasonings for about 8 minutes.
- Now add the beans and corn. Continue simmering for another 15 min.
- If needed, adjust seasonings to taste.
You can find complete recipes of this 30 MINUTE BLACK BEANS AND LIME RICE in whereyougetyourprotein.com