I had a group of friends over for dinner on Saturday night. One of the guests was vegan, which I actually love because it’s always a bit of a challenge.
As I was planning the menu, I knew right away I wanted to make my super delicious Easy Pumpkin Masala that wins rave reviews and sometimes even a standing ovation (seriously, I am not kidding!)
I also wanted to make some tikka masala. But I couldn’t make my award-winning chicken tikka masala. Because, you know, chicken and THEN the gravy (made with yogurt or cream) – so yeah, not vegan at all.
But then I thought that it’s such a shame that vegans miss out on something delicious like tikka masala.
So I got down to it and made this delicious and vegan Easy Chickpea Tikka Masala.
Chicken is replaced with chickpeas (the meatiest legume ever) and coconut milk is used instead of heavy cream.
Now I understand that chickpeas are NOT paleo-friendly; but I decided to cook this dish anyway because I wanted to serve some sort of heart-healthy protein to my guests.
Plus, I figured since hummus is not a paleo-diet killer (or is it?), the chickpeas themselves are okay for the occasional consumption of legumes. Not to mention that even the paleo Almighty Chris Kresser believes that “eating a few servings of legumes a week is fine as long you tolerate them well.”
Last — but definitely not least — not all of you guys follow the paleo diet. Actually, I think that just a fraction of my readers are cavemen.
So, why not chickpeas, for once…
Here’s the lowdown about this dish: rich, spicy, curry, delicious. That’s it. So good. You might even say that this Chicken Tikka Masala is fleek.
If you love my Chicken Tikka Masala, I’m sure you’ll love this one too.
The gravy is delicious and works perfectly with the chickpeas.
All of my guests forgot they were eating vegan as they polished this off. You might just do the same.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 (15 oz / 425 gr) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 (14.5 oz / 410 gr) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (I used BPA-free Natural Value)
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, a pinch of salt, and sautè until translucent, about 6 minutes stirring every now and then. Add garlic and sautè for 1 more minute.
- Add ginger and spices and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chickpeas and diced tomatoes, bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and simmer for 5 more minutes.
You can find complete recipes of this Easy Chickpea Tikka Masala in bloglovin.com