Are you ready to try a new exciting spin on pizza? I know that I always game seeing as pizza is one of my favorite foods. I will never get tired of it and since the topping options are endless I never have to get bored of it.
This is a topping combinations you simply have to try! Even if you don’t love onions you will most likely still love this pizza. Since the onions are caramelized it really just tones down that harsh bite they can have, it mellows out their bold flavor and even brings out some sweetness in them. Then when you pair that with salty, crispy bacon, fresh spinach and melty mozzarella and parmesan cheese you have got a rave worthy pizza. You know, the kind your guests will be talking about for years.
Trust me, you don’t want to miss out on this fabulously gourmet and perfectly flavorful pizza! It’s one I will make time and time again!
- 1 lb pizza dough homemade or store bought
- 7 slices bacon (7 oz), cooked and chopped
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8 oz baby spinach
- 1 large red onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 6 oz low-moisture mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach and saute just until wilted. Transfer to several layers of paper towels and squeeze some of the excess liquid from spinach, set aside.
- Add another 1 Tbsp olive oil to skillet and set over medium heat. Add onions, season lightly with salt and saute 10 minutes. Add sugar and cook until they begin to caramelize, about 5 – 10 minutes longer, adding a few tbsp water as needed to prevent them from drying and burning. Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook 1 minute longer, set aside.
- Shape pizza dough into a 12-inch round over a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper, leaving a larger rim around edge of dough for crust. Brush top with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and let rest 10 minutes.
You can find complete recipes of this Caramelized Onion, Bacon and Spinach Pizza in cookingclassy.com