I first tried taco pizza about 20 years ago when I was working for a lawyer and his wife suggested we get taco pizza from Pizza Hut. I had never heard of such a thing. It’s not on the menu, but apparently – at least at that time at that Pizza Hut in Casper, WY – they would make it for you on request. It was so good. I still don’t understand why they don’t make it a regular menu item.
I like to make it at home regularly because well, I don’t like most pork meats. I don’t like sausage or pepperoni or ham. Plus, those things really aren’t all that healthy. Plus, it’s fun to have a variety of food. I think as a general rule, that ground beef is a lot healthier than the cured meats I mention above and, because of the spices, this has a lot of flavor so you don’t miss the more fattening meats.
Plus, the biggest thing about this pizza is the FLAVOR. I mean, hispanic food can be really delicious and, granted, this is very Americanized, but it’s spicy and has a lot of flavors going on in each bite. Plus, it puts two of my children’s favorite foods together = win-win.
What is your favorite type of pizza? I actually like Canadian bacon and pineapple – but even better is bacon and pineapple. Bacon is one of the cuts of pork that I actually do love, especially if it’s uncured. I think with Canadian bacon and pineapple you either love like or you hate it. Oh, another variation of this recipe is to put shredded lettuce on top and some sort of dressing, like ranch, tomatillo ranch, salsa, tomatillo salsa, etc. I mean, really just make it how you like it. It doesn’t have to be beautiful. It just has to taste good.
- Clean Eating Pizza Crust made with spelt flour
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tbl. homemade taco seasoning or store-bought Clean taco seasoning
- 1 Cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 sliced olives
- 1 1/2 Cups colby jack cheese
- 1 Cup spicy marinara, recipe below
- Spicy Marinara
- 1 in jar Clean classic marinara sauce or crushed tomatoes will do a pinch
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbl chili powder
- Cook ground beef in a skillet until browned all the way through
- Drain excess grease and add 1 packet of taco seasoning
- Prepare crust according to directions
- Prepare spicy marinara sauce by combining all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes
- Spread marinara sauce on the crust
- Top with ground beef
You can find complete recipes of this Clean Eating Taco Pizza Recipe with Spicy Marinara Sauce in cleaneatingrecipes.com