Italy is one of my favorite countries to visit: the beautiful coastlines, historical cities, charming villages and passionate people – and of course: the food!
Italian cuisine is one of the most vegan-friendly in Europe. Sure, they throw parmesan on top of everything, but often they just give you a bowl on the side where you add it yourself, and if not you can pretty much always ask them to omit it in your dish.
Italian cakes however have received very little attention (except for gelato), which is a shame because there are so many delicious treats to try out – like this vegan lemon cake with olive oil!
The traditional lemon and olive oil cake comes from southern Italy and includes eggs, but in this vegan version you can’t notice that there aren’t any eggs at all!
The cake has a lovely balanced flavor of lemon and is neither too sweet nor too tangy, and with just a hint of flavor from the olive oil. This is Italy in a nutshell, if you ask me ;).
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- zest of a lemon
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp water
- 1 cup soy yoghurt
- 1 tsp vanilla powder (optional, can be substituted with vanilla essence)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 50 g (1.76 oz) vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven at 160°C/320F. Grease a bread form and line the inside with a baking sheet.
- Sift the flour in a bowl and combine with baking powder, baking soda, vanilla powder, salt, lemon zest and sugar.
- Add water, olive oil, vegan yoghurt, lemon juice and melted vegan butter and quickly combine all the ingredients to a smooth batter (be careful not to overmix).
You can find complete recipes of this VEGAN LEMON CAKE in sofiavonporat.com